1.2
Insurance Quality
Tracking Tool
Turnaround Time

Probably one of the best examples of poor customer service. On 5/18/19 I bought an $800 piece of furniture at an estate sale that had to be picked by 1PM the following day.

As such, I reserved a truck to be picked up via 'express pick-up" at a U-Haul site about 20 miles and a ferry ride from my house. The transaction should have given me 'express' access to the keys to the truck and I would be on my way in plenty of time. Issues began immediately in that I could not get access to the key and kept getting asked the same information again and again on my phone (information I had given the night before). After about 45 minutes on the phone, I received a message that my reservation 'expired'.

It said to call a certain individual for assistance but when I did, he was not available. I called U-haul's help line, waited for what seemed like an eternity and finally got through to a woman who was most helpful. I got the key! I then went to the truck, put in the key, but it was dead.

I called again, waited forever to speak to a human, and was told I would need roadside assistance. I said I didn't understand as I was seating in a dead truck with a plethora of other U-haul trucks around me....why couldn't I get one of those trucks? No, I must wait for roadside assistance and I would be transferred. I waited again until a man responds and asks how he can assist me.

I explain the situation. He asks if I called roadside assistance. I said I thought he was roadside assistance. He said no but he would transfer me to them.

I asked why I couldn't have one of the trucks I was looking at. He puts me on hold to look for another truck near-by. I wait, he comes back on the line (again more waiting), and says the nearest available truck is in Riverhead, a travel time of at least 30 minutes and another 30 minutes back. At this point it's around 12:30.

There was no way I could make it to my destination in time. He advises my only other option was to wait for roadside assistance. Roadside assistance for a truck rental that never made it on the road! Anyway, he agreed to contact roadside assistance to see how long it would take (more waiting).

He returned to the line and said I should understand that it's a Sunday and it would take some time. Roadside assistance does not have anyone available. So it's hours that I spent in a filthy parking lot, never got a truck, lost my $800, and to top it off they charged me the $135 for the rental. A customer services rep called me and said I needed to contact Customer Service on Monday to request the return of my money......like that' s my responsibility.

I tried to write a negative review on their site but it says I needed to enter my reservation number so a link could be sent to my email and I could write a review. Mysteriously, when I clicked on the link it said 'something went wrong' and I should try again at another time. I tried again, and again. My guess is that my reservation number identified me as an unhappy customer and shut me out so I could not write what they already know would be a negative review.

You bet something went wrong. Seriously wrong!

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Uhaul Cons: Truck did not work and would not give another one.

• Vehicle Not Available