Denver, Colorado

Relocation from Los Alamos, NM to Fort Collins, CO

Los Alamos UHaul - 127 East Gate, Ste 104

Fort Collins UHaul - 6100 S. College

I inquired if I need the truck for an additional trip what are the costs and how do I extend? The Manager at Los Alamos office stated "I'll give you an additional day for free." I kept probing on the costs as I had limited funds and he stated "Only $38". I offered to pay the $38 and he kept saying "I'm a nice guy so don't worry, it is free." I needed the truck an additional 1.5 days and contacted the Fort Collins office and was told the same "No worries, we will give it to you for free."

When I returned the truck I was told at the Fort Collins office I owed $645! I said "I was told these days were "Free". I don't have the money as I'm unemployed and had to borrow to relocate." The employee stated "Yeah, everyone is surprised and don't realize they have to pay for the additional mileage. If you talk with the manager, we can readjust or erase the charge." I left my name/number for the manger, Charles Kelly, to contact me to resolve. The employee never gave me an invoice for the charges.

I never heard from Charles Kelly so I called and left two more messages - never heard back from Kelly. I was busy with unpacking and job searching so I thought Kelly would send me an invoice and/or contact me. He never did.

At the end of the month, Charles Kelly charged my bank account $505! This was my rent money! Again, I tried contacting Kelly who again never returned my calls. My bank told me he had tried to charge $690 as he had added late fees. The Executive Officer of the President for the bank called him and was able to get Kelly. When she identified herself he hung up! I called the Denver Regional Office who (Mary) filed a complaint/rebuttal and was told Kelly had to contact me in 48 hours. He never did. I submitted a Better Business Bureau complaint - it has been 14 days and Kelly has not replied to them or me!

Kelly sent the additional $185 to collections! Now they are harassing me. I have tried to contact a Regional or Corporate managers with no success. Mary at the Denver regional office has refused to allow me to talk with the manager, Chadron Muniz, stating "She can't help you." Mary just wants to file another Complaint/Rebuttal!!!! Like that is going to help!

I am now contacting all media (News Investigation Reporting, Newspapers) and Small Claims Court. Currently I'm waiting to see if the VISA will accept or reject the charges to my bank account. Being in Collections this is ruining my credit rating.

ADDITIONALLY:

I purchased 2 boxes of bubble wrap - $40. I did not use them and returned both boxes. I have yet to be reimbursed. Again, the Los Alamos manager has never returned my calls. I have contacted the NM Regional Manager and sent him the receipt. I'm still waiting.

The manager (and only employee) at the Los Alamos office and I agreed to meet at 4:30pm to connect the car trailer to the truck and load the car. He never showed! A friend and I put it together but the straps were too small for my tires so I had to drive the vehicle not completely secured to the trailer. Luckily nothing happened but if my vehicle came off do you think UHaul insurance would cover my vehicle plus any damage to other vehicles on the road or injuries? *** No!

WARNING: DO NOT USE UHAUL! They are dishonest and use illegal tactics as the Bait and Switch (It is Free, not noting the mileage charge and then hitting you with it.). UHaul should not be in business - they are a dishonest company who doesn't care about customers and honest business practices.

Product or Service Mentioned: Uhaul Car Rental.

Reason of review: Bait and Switch.

Comments

How far did you drive on the second trip? Sounds like they gave the truck for the extra days for free and then charged you for the mileage you put on during the second trip which is the normal procedure.