Boston, Massachusetts

Short story - Reservations mean nothing at U haul. U haul did not deliver the truck I wanted, changed the pick up location twice, forced me to take a larger truck than I wanted and did not make it available until the end of the day instead of the beginning of the day I was supposed to move.

Longer story: I reserved a 10' truck 3 months ahead of time to move my daughter from Virginia to Boston. I had a very short window of time to fly in town, pack her up, attend graduation and get back to Boston. I called the pick-up location a week ahead of time to confirm. They said if I had a reservation, the truck was guaranteed to be there.

The day before I was supposed to pick up the truck, I got an email from U haul confirming a 15' truck at a different location from reservation. When I called U haul to ask why they had changed the truck size and the pickup location, (I was transferred twice and spent a long time on hold), the woman told me there were no 10' trucks available and in fact they didn't even have the 15' truck. After spending more time on hold she told me they had another 15' truck available at yet another location - I could take it or leave it. This was the day before my move.

At that point, I had no choice. 20 minutes later, I got a call from a guy at the actual pick up location who said U haul had called the people who were renting the truck before me and told them they had to return it early. He said he did not expect it to be returned on time so he would call me when it came back. The truck was not returned until the end of the day.

So instead of picking the truck up a 8:30 am, I got it at 4:45.

When I returned the truck to the designated location in the agreement at 1pm on a Monday, the place was closed. I called the number on the door, the number on the contract and the main U Haul number. After several calls (they love to transfer your call and force you start over with new people), no one had any answers or suggestions about what I should do with the truck.

Miserable experience all the way around. Don't use U haul if you can avoid it.

Product or Service Mentioned: Uhaul Truck Rental.

Comments

u12797

My name is Maria Palmisano and I am with U-Haul International. We just recently came across your posting and I first want to offer you my personal apology for the inconvenience you experienced with your U-Haul transaction you posted about in May 2013.

Our goal is to make your moving easier and without any added frustration of trying to secure the reserved equipment. I would like the opportunity to research your concerns further and be able to offer an appropriate response. Please provide me with the name of the lessee listed on the rental agreement, the date of your rental, and the address of the U-Haul location you rented from as well as the contract number if available. Also reference Review# 410448/PissedConsumer.com in the subject field for me please to help locate your concerns.

You can email me at maria_palmisano@uhaul.com. Again, I do apologize and hope to hear back from you soon.