Edmonton, Alberta

complete dissatisfaction with the unprofessional services and disrespect demonstrated by several U-Haul staff members (9521-51st avenue, Edmonton, AB T6E4W8). The experience has left us with the impression that U-Haul's advertising is completely false and we will not be recommending your business to anyone in the near future.

We booked a 26` truck at U-Haul online more than 3 weeks in advance for our planned household move. We were supposed to have it at 9 am.

My husband arrived at the pick up location on time but was told to wait. The staff members did not have the courtesy to give a word of explanation as to the status of the rental despite my husband having asked several times. He was finally told at 10:15 am that there was no truck available and that he could register on a waiting list in case a vehicle suddenly became available. My husband was very dissatisfied as he had waited for so long for nothing, and also considering that he had asked for a day off at work and that several people were also waiting at home to help us move. This created a huge loss of time for several people.

My husband decided that U-Haul had wasted enough of our time and decided to leave and asked for a refund as per the slogan you so proudly display on your website as "$50 back if we can't provide you with the vehicle you booked". Not only did the staff member tell him it was not possible to give him this refund because he had changed his reservation (and please note SHE had changed the reservation by putting him on a waiting list) but in addition, if he left, he would be charged for not picking up the vehicle without a 24h notice. This was completely inappropriate as you not only failed to meet your commitments in the first place, you then expect your customers to pay for multiple mistakes due to mismanagement and poor organization.

My husband, who does not speak fluent English, as we arrived from France last year, asked for better explanations. Other customers present had supported him, saying it was ridiculous to take so many online reservations without checking the availability. He was then referred to your on-site manager. She was obviously not happy to deal with the situation. Several times while my husband was trying to find his words in English, the on-site manager interrupted him and prevented him from speaking by talking louder and louder without listening to him. My husband finally lost his temper and demanded that she let him speak. Suddenly, she portrayed herself as a victim, claiming she would not tolerate his attitude and that she was calling the police… For what? For having not been able to do her job respectfully and properly? For having taken advantage of someone who could not communicate as easily as she could? For choosing to ignore a problem she was supposed to deal with as a manager and for which U-Haul is completely responsible for?

This is a much more serious problem than mere incompetence or unprofessional customer service. Her attitude, mixing bad faith and dishonesty, is an intolerable lack of respect for my husband, as a customer first, but as a person above all, that should not be tolerated from anyone.

It is a shame for a company such as yours, internationally recognized, claiming to be the largest moving operator, to offer such poor quality service (incompetent and disrespectful) as your agents and manager displayed. After reviewing the many bad customer reviews on your website, it can be clearly seen that I am not inventing or dramatizing the situation. There are many similar disrespectful situations presented there.

For the reasons discussed above, I have sent this letter to you and I intend to forward this complaint to anyone dedicated to these kinds of issues.

Product or Service Mentioned: Uhaul Truck Rental.

Comments

EXACT location did not treat me as poorly as your husband by any means but wasted a lot of our time and inconvenienced us ALOT!