Huntsville, Alabama
1K views

We rented a trailer from U-Haul on 4-27-11 to haul our bike to Florida for the Thunder Beach Bike Rally. On our way home, our trailer had a blow out.

We called U-Haul's customer service department, which was a JOKE! The representative I spoke with did not know where Panama City Beach was even located. After giving the rep directions, he told me he would call me back within 30 minutes. He said he needed to get a tech on the phone to see how long it would take someone to get us a new tire.

After 1 hour of waiting for my return call, I called U-Haul back -Of course you never get the same person twice. This rep informed me they were having problems finding the tire we needed, so he would have to call me back. He said to give him 30 minutes and he should have an answer. After 1 hour, I called back-of course I didn't get either of the 2 previous reps I spoke with.

The lady I spoke with informed me they were not able to get the tire we needed so she didn't know what we should do. I asked if we could just drop the trailer. I could drive our truck home and my husband could ride the bike home- I thought problem solved. I was wrong...

she explained if I drop the trailer, I would be liable for it if anything happened to it. I asked her what was I supposed to do. You can't get me a replacement tire, I can't drop the trailer and I am sitting on the side of the road in 98 degree weather burning up. She said she would have to call me back...

of course! The next 2 reps I spoke to over the next 1.5 hours did not help anymore than the first 3. They could not figure out what was going on. The 6th rep I spoke to decided he would have someone switch the trailers out.

He would have someone bring us a new trailer and take the one with the blow out back. I thought... finally we are going to go home, boy was I wrong! After speaking with him for 30 minutes, he realized he could not switch the trailers out because of the contract we signed.

He said he could get us a covered trailer, but we would have to pay the difference. I told him that was fine, just send it on. At this point, we have been on the side of the road for about 4 hours without any food or drinks. After waiting another 2 hours for this covered trailer that was supposed to be coming, a wrecker truck pulled up without a trailer.

The gentleman got out of the truck, opened the side door and pulled out the tire we needed. I almost lost it.... we had been sitting on the side of the road for over 6 hours, waiting on a tire that U-Haul claimed they could not find. I was SOOOOOO mad.

The way U-Haul treated us was unacceptable! Their customer service was awful. They did not care if they helped us or not.

We will NEVER, EVER rent anything from U-Haul again. My husband did get his money back.

The return U-Haul place told us that he hears these complaints all the time and all he can do is give the customer their money back and apologize. He told us we would not believe the horror stories he has heard about renters getting stuck on the side of the road without help.

Product or Service Mentioned: Uhaul Truck Rental.

Comments