Tucson, Arizona
1K views

I rented a 26ft UHaul for an in-town move. As soon as I got in the truck one of the employees informed me that 1st gear sticks, so try not to use it.

This was the only truck they had that was large enough to accommodate my move, so I went with it anyway. I couldn't even get it into 1st gear, it stuck so bad. This was a little nerve wrenching, since I had to *** from 2nd gear after stopping at red lights. ( Imagine a 26ft truck rolling backwards while I tried to get going in 2nd.) The car was very old and uncomfortable to drive, along with being extremely loud.

It took us about 4 hours to load all of our belongings into the back of the truck. So, while the door to the UHaul was open, the dome light was on. I can leave the dome light in my car on overnight and not drain out the battery. However, this was enough to kill the battery.

When I tried to jump the car myself, sparks flew. (I am not a mechanic, I only know that black=negative, red=positive, and to connect black to black, red to red). My husband came and looked at it and whatever cables were going down to the battery were color coded incorrectly, the black rubber cover was over the positive, and vice versa. I could not charge the UHaul enough from my car battery to get it started.

I had to have one of their mechanics come look at the truck, which happened on day 3. They had no one available to send out on day 2. He charged the battery and told me that the clutch was out. When I returned the UHaul, I asked them to take 2 days of charges off of the bill, since the only reason I was returning the truck late was that it had been broken down in my driveway and I was unable to use it.

The manager said, "yeah, well the clutch was out. You rode too heavy on the clutch and broke it." HAHAHAHA. I drove the car a total of 14 miles. She did take the 2 days of non-use off of the bill, but did not offer any type of a discount for all of my troubles or the hours I had to wait for the mechanic.

(Not knocking on the mechanic, he was a very nice man. However, he was in his 70s and had to get under the truck on his back, moving slowly and groaning the whole time. I felt terrible for him).

After sharing my bad experience with UHaul with others, I have heard countless stories about how their trucks are 20 years old, they drive them into the ground, never perform maintenance, etc. I will never go with UHaul again!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Uhaul Truck Rental.

Comments

I am sorry you recieved such an old truck. Currently all Uhaul trucks are supposed to be Automatic and between 10-12 years old at the most for our customers ease but this Uhaul place did not get that message.

Contact corporate and make sure that they do not rent this truck anymore and that will solve many problems for you and for the next customer.

I realize that the dome light stays on when the door is open and I personally have drained the battery on a few trucks but the battery does not need to be fully charge to start the truck, When the truck is running, the battery is charging so all you need to do if this happens again is to turn your car on while it is hoocked to the truck and that will keep enough current running to get the engine started. Once again, I appologize for this mistake and I hope you will give us another chance to win back your service.